Sunday, July 15, 2012

Day 33: July 15, 2012- Bike Week and the Wilderness

(So, it's official. There will be no more audio-only podcasts on Sundays, only videos- with audio. Apparently, the reason I cannot convert to an mp3 version of the podcast is because youtube is actively blocking all third party recording tools from using youtube videos. This probably means nothing to you. If so, carry on. Nothing will change, but Sundays will be video only. If instead of meaning nothing to you, it means something to you, click here to sign a fast-growing petition to persuade youtube to ease up on the little stuff. It probably is to block people from ripping off mp3 versions of songs from youtube videos, a form of pirating, but my innocent videos and audios get caught up in the crosshairs. Anyway, enjoy the post!)


Grand-Daddy-G's Poolside Ranch Presents...Bike Week Special!

(This story is courtesy of Grandpa Hine)

Last night, Daddy and Mommy had a first. It was a very important first. It was their first date A.L. (anno lukie- in the year of our lukie).

I was told I would be staying with Grandpa Hine. I'd been told he was a cool dude.

The evening started promisingly. When I walked in the door (in my car seat), I noticed there were no toys.

It looked and smelled like an old folks home.

For some reason I don't know, Daddy and Mommy disappeared as soon as they dropped me inside. They seemed to be in quite a hurry.

They didn't even notice where they were leaving me.

At least the caregiver would have to feed me. It felt like a good time for food.

Right when I began a well-planned yowl, Grandpa informed me that Daddy and Mommy's hurry had included forgetting the diaper bag.

I tried to tell him it was my tool bag, but it came out in harumphs and Grandpa started smacking me on the back, so I stopped.

I said, "Grandpa, somebody said that you're a pretty cool guy."

Grandpa said, "That was me."

I said, "They said you're a legend in your time."

Grandpa said, "...in my mind."

Then he told me we'd be taking a little ride.




He said, "It might be a little breezy out."

I said, "Grandpa, I don't think that's breeze. I think that's speed."

He said, "I'll back off when we hit 90."

I think he might've cheated it to 91 or 92.

I said, "Grandpa, I don't think that spittle's mine."

I don't think he heard me. He was nodding off at the light.




Big boys don't spittle on a bike.

When we arrived back at the house, Grandpa's caregiver fed and held me for a while. Then she gave me back to him. I braced myself.

He took me to the edge of the world, to a great expanse. They called it a pool.

He said, "This might get a little wet."

I said, "Grandpa, I was swimming for nine months."

He said, "You might have to hold your breath."

I said, "Grandpa, just hook me to that long tube in there."

He said, "Oh, no. That's a watcha-ma-call-it."

I'm not quite sure whether he made something up or my baby interpreting skills couldn't pick it up.




From the look on his face, I think he was faking on that one.

And then, the splash.

Ok, it wasn't me. Grandpa got in.

I gave the obligatory wimper when he put me in. For the womenfolk (the caregiver).




But it was actually pretty fun. We swam around for a while. Perhaps Grandpa Hine is a pretty cool guy.




Later, we dried off and took in the surroundings.

The breeze blew through the trees. They swayed and bent and swayed and...

"No, Grandpa. I can fall asleep before you can."




I'm pretty sure I won.


Don't Forget...the Readings!

And yes, there's a cute little Lukers on film. He practices his acting a few minutes in. Totally unscripted. But he's a charismatic guy, so we let him go with it.
Exodus 15:19-17:7, Matthew 22:1-33, Psalm 27:1-6, Proverbs 6:20-26




No comments:

Post a Comment