Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Day 63: August 14, 2012- Firstborns!

There's a Choke in My Throat.

"The blessing of the Lord makes rich, and he adds no sorrow to it..."




I don't know if I can say how much I love that.

But this guy will be a few feet from my bed tonight, and I'll cherish every moment.

(Except perhaps the moment when...oh, quiet, don't ruin it...)
The Readings:

Numbers 2:1-3:51, Mark 11:27-12:17, Psalm 47:1-9, Proverbs 10:24-25

Old Testament.
Notice the mention of first born sons over and over (in the second half of the reading, after the lists of armed men). Why are first borns so important to God, so important to parents? After Luke, I think I know.

This is a special place of honor, the first time a parent's heart was cracked into, dare I say it, growing three times the size like the Grinch on Who Christmas Day.

Do you know God's heart grows like this when he thinks about you?

I see it in every moment I spend with my son.

It should blow us away, how much we are truly loved.

In the reading, God calls the firstborn Levites a replacement. He calls it...redemption. Sound familiar? That's because this is all pointing to Jesus, who is the "firstborn of all creation."

When Jesus took our place in sin, we took his place in holiness.

Ephesians says God "seated us with him in heavenly places." That, paraphrasing, he could show us all his blessing in Christ.

When we took on the death and resurrection of Christ, we took on his place as the firstborn son. We received his blessing.

Thinking about my son, I'm starting to understand this. No matter how many kids God has, that mean you are the firstborn, in the place of blessing in Christ, it means in a special sort of way, you are his favorite.

That has significant meaning when we read about firstborns today. It has especially significant meaning as I read it for the first time to my firstborn son.

New Testament.
Those good old Pharisees try to trap Jesus again today. Twice!

The first time, he comes back with a trap that leaves them scratching their heads and with no answers (or nooses to pull around him).

The second time, leaves them stumbling over themselves amazed.

"Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and give to God what is God's."

Puts in perspective the things of God and the things of men.

Psalms.
When's the last time you've genuinely broken out and praised God? I mean screamed, or shouted, or hooted. I don't know why, but the Psalm today makes me think of letting loose. Good Christians need to let loose every now and then. If nothing but to remind ourselves and the world what a game-changing God we have.

Proverbs.
If you're wicked by the end of reading the Bible through with us in a year, you have some serious problems.

Actually, the Bible says you'll fade away. Oh, but your fears, they won't go away.

And neither will the hopes of the righteous.




To read along, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment